Pages

1.11.2013

Surf Camp…Spoiler Alert: My Day Ended in Burned Feet

Yesterday my orientation group went to surf camp at Seven Mile Beach National Park. We were told to bring a huge appetite because lunch would be two bread rolls. I don’t know what bread rolls sounds like to you, but to me it sounds like dinner rolls, something you would get with a chicken dinner. FYI, bread rolls are sandwiches.

Being allergic to neoprene, the main ingredient in a wet suit, I told the surf camp staff when we lined up to get fitted. The lead surf instructor informed me he is a medical professional (mmm hmm) and wanted to know what my reaction was. “When I got certified for SCUBA a couple years ago, I broke out in a rash everywhere the wetsuit touched me.” I mean, I don’t know if he thought I was lying so I didn’t have to wear one, but I really don’t want to run the risk of wearing one again since every time you’re exposed to an allergen, the allergy tends to become more severe.

They did not have a non-neoprene wet suit, so I got a “rash shirt” (“skin” in U.S.). He told me if I booked a weeklong surf camp to let him know in advance so he could procure a rubber wet suit. Right, with my long-time hatred of sand, I’m going to roll around in it for a week--I was doing good to be there for the one day in the first place.

We left our stuff at the camp and walked to the beach. However, they failed to inform us how long of a walk it would be, so most of us did not wear shoes, myself included. By the time we got to the beach, the balls of my feet had burned and blistered from the heat of the blacktop. I couldn’t walk the last bit to the beach, so one of the instructors lent me his “thongs” (flip-flops).

We sat down on the sand for our surfing lesson—yes, I sat on sand, no towel, just sand. The wind had picked up and was pelting us with the stuff. I was zoned out, mentally numb from my feet and to turn my brain off to sand. I tried to stand to attempt the paddling practice, but I couldn’t stand on my feet so immediately sat back down. When everyone picked up boards, the instructor asked if I was going to try. Nope.

He pointed out a table the surf camp had that I could lie under so I wouldn’t fry in the sun. It was maybe four feet long, two wide, and two tall, so I was on the struggle bus to get under it and keep my knees and everything out of the sun. I promptly started ugly crying, sobbing, with snot running down my face. It was attractive. 

I wanted to watch everyone else surf, so I faced that direction. But the sand was assaulting my face, swirling around, and going up my nose. So I sucked it up, got out, dug some sand from under the table to give myself a little more room, and turned the other direction, so I couldn’t see the surfing but wasn’t struck directly in the face with sand. I still had to put my arm into an awkward position to protect my face, but it was better.

Then I felt a stinging bite on my ass and saw a horsefly zooming about. He bit me at least another 20 times--but only on the buttocks. I got out a couple times to swat him, but he was too swift.

An instructors came back to offer a surf with him holding the board or even on my knees, but I could not imagine anything worse at that moment, so I declined and stayed in own my sandy, horsefly hell for the remainder of the two hours.

I was so grateful for the flip-flops on the way back. I know my feet are wimpy, but I genuinely could have made it back without them. I was walking on the outsides of my feet to compensate, so my ankles (especially the one I broke) were screaming at me by the time I got back to the camp. The blister on the left popped on the walk back, and I pricked and let out most of the right one after I got back to the hostel. The lead instructor loaned me gel ice packs for the bus ride back to Sydney.

The others without shoes were suffering from burned feet, too. In fact, on the walk back, two of them sat down almost crying, and all the instructors walked past and left them behind. They couldn’t find the way back and ended up locked out of the camp while the rest of us were getting rinsed off and eating fruit and cookies. They did make it back but only because some random people lent them flip-flops and showed them the way back.

The surf camp staff tried to blame us for not wearing shoes, but we were absolutely not informed that we would need shoes. I heard this morning that the Work and Travel staff informed the owner that he needs to ensure people are wearing shoes.

I elevated my legs last night, and my feet (and ankles) definitely feel better than they did yesterday--I can walk, so that’s a plus. But my right foot is a little squishy and my left ankle is puffy. It’s going to be weeks before my feet are healed.

The moral of this story is to wear shoes at surf camp.