Pages

10.29.2012

Frustrations in Vacation Planning

This past April, one of my sisters and I went to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. It was supposed to be a girl's vacation...I mean we're both girls, so I suppose we succeeded on that objective :) But some friends had expressed interest in going on vacation together, maybe an all-inclusive. I'm up for pretty much any travel my friends suggest, so I happily researched where and when to go. 

First off, do you know how difficult it is to plan a vacation when you don't know where you want to go? Or how hard it is to research all-inclusive resorts? Every other trip I've taken, I knew the destination first and ran with it. Also, I had never done an all-inclusive so didn't know where to start. 

Anywho, based on recommendations from many people and extensive internet research, I narrowed it down to a couple resorts in Punta Cana and picked a week in April. I sent the info and...crickets. I mean, zero response.

A couple weeks later, I finally talked to the friend who originally suggested a girl's trip. She lamented that she would not be able to go because she couldn't get a whole week off work, and neither could our other friend. And you couldn't have told me that sooner? If I had know that, I would have looked into somewhere they could get to with a single flight so that they could go for a long weekend.

By that point, I had already put so much effort into planning Punta Cana that I wasn't going to change it. Oh well! My sister ended up being able to go, though, so I still went and had a blast! So there.

The moral of this story is that no matter how much I love travel, there will always be frustrations, and overcoming them makes me somewhat of a superhero! If only I had a cape...